Girls water polo shocks Freeway League with victory over Sunny Hills

Sophomore+Emmy+Yzguerra+takes+a+shot.+

Sophomore Emmy Yzguerra takes a shot.

The FUHS girls varsity water polo team (2-1) surprised Sunny Hills and the rest of the Freeway league with a 7-5 win over the Lancers on Jan. 4.

Going into the third quarter, the Indians were falling behind, but made a startling comeback in the second half. Top scorers included senior Lauren Brown, junior captain Kaya Ortega, and sophomore Emmy Yzguerra, all scoring two goals each.  

“It feels absolutely amazing, especially since it was our first league game,” sophomore Erica Barton said.

Historically, the Lancers have dominated the Indians. This was the first time in more than eight years that FUHS beat Sunny Hills.

“I’m so excited for games to come,” freshman Sophie Zener said

The girls varsity water polo team did not stop there. The same weekend, Nogales High School hosted Fullerton in the Lady Nobles tournament. Because of their successful record, FUHS was placed in the platinum bracket. Despite wavering confidence from players, spectators, and peers, the Lady Indians took home a gold medal for FUHS. In addition, Fullerton moved up to no. 7 in CIF, division 5.

OCVarsity, a fairly popular news source for high school sports, took notice of Fullerton’s new success. Dan Albano, a staff writer who covers girls water polo, named senior co-captain Hannah Officer OCVarsity’s player of the week (Jan. 9) and junior co-captain Kaya Ortega OCVarsity’s Jan. 7 player of the day. The Indians took on the Buena Park Coyotes (1-2) on Jan. 11. FUHS beat Buena Park 16-5, continuing their hot streak.