Speech triumphs in Arizona

Duo partners, junior Becky Jones (left) and sophomore Zachariah Juarez (right), practice their piece. Photo by Cordelia Tran.

The Fullerton Speech and Debate team nabbed yet again another first place trophy, adding to their collection of awards.

The team traveled to Tempe, Arizona to compete at the Arizona State University Tournament of Champions, an event with over 2000 competitors. In addition to overall success the team of 53 dominated individually,earning 14 finalist spots and 26 semi finalist spots.

Each finalist qualified to the national Tournament of Champions held in Kentucky later this year.

Similar to track and field, individual successes in events add points for the team. This factor aided in Fullerton’s second consecutive win.

In the Duo Interpretation event, partners Becky Jones, junior, and Zachariah Juarez, sophomore, won first place.

“It was intense,” Jones said. “I told Zach when we broke to quarters, ‘If we didn’t break, it’s fine.’ Then we kept breaking!” The term ‘break’ means to move on to an elimination round.

“I couldn’t handle it, I really couldn’t,” Juarez said about winning.

His past duo partners presented commitment issues, but now he feels he has a partner he can count on for her dedication. “She definitely wants to work hard. It’s obvious,” Juarez said. “It gives me a thrill. Being in the moment, being a different character with someone else.”

“We both care so much about speech. We have the same love, so it’s easier to work because we’re fighting for the same thing,” Jones said.

Other first place wins include: junior Sharra Wells (Poetry Reading), senior Christian Arduz (Prose Reading),  junior Colby Martin (Dramatic Interpretation), and junior Lauren Fu (Programmed Oral Interpretation). This, along with many other successes secured the win, allowing Fullerton to break their own personal record.

Through their continual success, it seems like the FUHS Speech and Debate team will remain one of the most decorated teams on campus.