The student news site of Fullerton Union High School

The Tribe Tribune

Baseball battles for first place

Freshman Nathan Chong hits the ball foul. Photo by Kristi Rho.

The Indians Baseball (7-2) broke undefeated Troy’s winning streak yesterday with a score of 6-3. The Indians will play them twice more this week.

At the beginning of the year, three Troy baseball players transferred here to their rival, Fullerton. Junior, Matt Cho transferred mostly because of grades and being able to maintain good grades and play baseball.  Regarding the Angel’s game, when the Indians fell 8-2 to the Warriors, Cho said, “I feel like we got over it quickly. We didn’t play our best, but I don’t think it affects us that much.”

Junior Paul Lee said he felt he could manage an athlete student profile better here at Fullerton. “I also liked the Coach Tony a lot,” Lee said. Lee was on Troy’s baseball team for two years prior to him transferring in the beginning of his junior year.  

Regarding playing against his former team this week, Lee said, “Even though they’re my friends I’m still gonna play aggressive and not have any emotions.”

Freshman Nathan Chong, the youngest transfer here at Fullerton, said he plans to stick to what he has been doing all year of seeing the ball and just hitting it.  “I know everyone on their lineup, so that fuels my passion to beat them even more.”  Chong said he also noticed that Troy plays a lot of small ball such as bunts, which will help them in the game.

Senior Ivan Serna hopes to beat them before his senior year is over. Serna said the key to beating Troy is to keeping a bright energy. “When we played at Angel Stadium we were barely even talking.  Like no one was saying anything and it was just like it was a graveyard.”

The team will travel to Troy on Today, and face the Warriors at home again Friday. Both games begin at 3:15 p.m