Academy art show shines ‘light’ on student excellence

“Raven” by Nick Moreno.

Nick Moreno

Senior Nick Moreno’s deep passion for the arts goes far back into the years before high school. Because of his advanced technique and talent, his junior high art teacher had recommended that Moreno skip first year art and go directly into Communication Design.

“Art makes me feel proud, like a parent, but also calm in a meditative way.” said Moreno.

Currently in AP Studio Art, year 2 of the BEAST Program, Moreno created his piece for the Light Show outside of school, not in a classroom like other students.

“The art piece I did for the show was personal, “ said Moreno. “I had my own time so I decided to create something for the gallery.”

Hours upon hours of drawing and painting over a weekend long period resulted in “Raven,” Moreno’s eye-catching piece done with acrylics and a special watercolor paint called gouache.

Moreno captures an illusion of light on the canvas by highlighting the woman’s hair and figure.

“The idea is that there is a specific light source,” said Moreno. “It’s all pastel and bright- standing out.” Moreno hoped that the gallery’s bright lights would bounce off of the shiny gold paint, emitting literal light.

Beyond the obvious beauty of “Raven,” Moreno was inspired by Gustav Klimt’s use of gold paint, and wanted to focus on the powerful female figure.

“I like emotion and the beauty of the human form,” says Moreno. “Women are the traditional subjects of much of art so I work to make them strong, while still beautiful.”

Isabella Cano

“Sun King” Isabella Cano

Senior and advanced photography student Isabella Cano became interested in photography during her junior year at Fullerton High School.

Her photo entitled “Sun King” was a favorite in the 2016 Light show.

“I originally took the photo for my repetition assignment in Crail’s class, but the sky was so beautiful that day, so I decided to use it for the light show.” said Cano. “I especially love photographing people and doing portraits and landscapes- anything involving nature.”

Cano said that if she could take photos from anywhere in the world, she would capture wintertime at Arches National Park, a Utah desert site with more than 2,000 natural sandstone arches.

“I would hike to the top of Delicate Arch, take photos of the summit, and utilize the vantage point to photograph the mountains, sky and sunset around me,” said Cano. The red rock, white snow, and blue sky contrasts in the most beautiful way! Then I’d wait until dark to photograph the night sky and all of the stars. Arches is my favorite national park.”

Cano feels inspired by all photographers because she loves seeing how they all develop a unique sense of style in the
ir art.

“If I had to choose, I would say I am most inspired by Ansel Adams and the work he has done in Yosemite.” said Cano.