The Tribe Tribune

Softball begins season

Junior Alexia Silvas at bat. Photo by Patrick Takkinen.

Madison Velez and Amanda Foglesong

With Spring season approaching, the Tribe’s softball team prepares and made qualifying for CIF a priority goal.

Senior Mayra Encinas said her last season feels bittersweet. “I don’t plan on playing in college, so there is a little part of me that is gonna miss it. but at the same time I know I should enjoy the rest of my time here.”

Junior Brittney Vargas runs through the team’s pre-game routine.  “Before every game we mess around and get loose. We stand in a circle and dance around and laugh at each other.” Vargas said it helps boost the atmosphere at games, which strengthens their performance “Being able to laugh and focused with each other will help us achieve our goal for this season.”

Vargas says that “Being able to come out on the field to work on your character and the sport that you love is something that not everyone has. I am thankful that I get to do it with this group of girls.”

Encinas, Vargas, and Junior Kristin Smith said the new assistant coach, Emiley McEwen strengthen each other through practice. Smith said she admired Coach McEwen’s experience. “She knows what it takes to get us to the top. I think she can push us to do our best this year.”

“Coach (Michael Takkinen) would’ve wanted us to win it all, and make it to CIF. We are working hard to accomplish that each practice,” said Smith.

About the Writers
Madison Velez, Sports/Photo Editor

Class of 2019. Photo/Sports Editor. Romans 12:20-21.“Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.”― Oscar Wilde

Amanda Foglesong, Sports Editor

Class of 2019. Sports Editor. FUHS Varsity softball. I am obsessed with dogs. “You don’t need a license to drive a sandwich.”-Spongebob Squarepants....