Girls JV soccer: League Champions

The girls JV Soccer captains are proud of their teams accomplishments over the last season. Photo courtesy of Sierra Pike.

The FUHS Girls’ JV soccer team (7-1-2) celebrates winning the Freeway League title.

While taking in their well deserved title, the team captains reflect on the season and how the team made winning league possible.

Sophomore captain Claire Banner shares her most memorable moment of the season.  

“My favorite memory of the season was scoring in our last league game,” said Banner. “I don’t normally score and we were tied with the other team so it felt ten times better than any other goal.”

Banner reflects the changes the team has made compared to last season.

“We all worked much better as a team. We were all really close friends this year which helped us get further together,” said Banner.

For freshman captain Rebecca Taylor, practice played a vital part in winning league not just for preparation for the game, but for team bonding.

“I think the practice was mainly for us to get to know each other and how we play,” said Taylor.

In addition, Taylor describes the team’s relationship throughout the season.     

“We were so close with each other and we were basically like family,” Taylor said.

Sophomore captain Presli Dillon saw her motivation for the team as an important factor to winning games.  

“In the games we struggled with at half time, if we were losing, I felt like I was able to motivate people to want to do good and want to do better not just for themselves but for everyone,” Dillon said.

Although the team’s season was successful, there was a moment of doubt that they might not win the title as Dillion expresses.

“The first time we won and the second time we lost; I think all of our heads got put down, but as we came together and thought about it, we realized that we can’t focus on what others say we have to keep doing our game,” Dillon said.

For many players, this was their first year on the team and was going to set the tone for the rest of their high school soccer career. Freshman captain Lauren Rosado emphasizes her positive first year with the team.

“I loved my first year playing high school soccer,” said Rosado. “It was really enjoyable and I met so many new friends.”

Rosado includes how the team’s second time playing Troy was the most memorable game for her.

“My most memorable game was the second time we played Troy, and it was on their home field,” said Rosado. “They were winning 1-0 and we had to at least tie to stay first in league. We scored a corner kick to tie the game but the ref said it didn’t count so we had to redo it. Presli kicked it again and I headed the ball in to tie the game.”

The captains proved that winning a major title such as League Champions does not happen overnight. The team’s strive for competition, teamwork, and fun allowed the girls to be successful in their season.

Congratulations to the Girls JV soccer team!