Student walkouts against gun violence: what you need to know

The Stoneman Douglas High School community peacefully protests the recent shooting. Photo courtesy of the Los Angeles Times.

Following the fatal school shooting in Parkland, Florida which killed 17 students and faculty, there will be a walkout at FUHS to honor those who were killed and to protest gun violence in schools. Here is what you need to know if you plan on participating in the FUHS school walkout.

The walkout is on Mar. 14 at 10 a.m. Students will gather on the front lawn, in front of the 10’s Science Building, and stay outside for a total of 17 minutes, one minute for every person who was killed.

Principal Rubio wants to reassure the students who fear potential consequences of the walkout of class by expressing her support for those who do choose to walk out.

Rubio stated that the only students who will be punished are those who use the walkout as a time to be disruptive and cause disorder.

If worried about how walking out may affect college acceptances, many colleges such as MIT, Wellesley, CalTech, University of Connecticut, and Amherst College have come out in support of the protests and have stated that any suspension that may result from walking out will not negatively affect admission. If the college(s) you plan on applying to or have already committed to have not made a statement on the matter, try contacting the school’s office of admission.

If you do not feel comfortable walking out, but still want to protest gun violence, there is a nationwide protest being held on Saturday, March 24. Check out https://marchforourlives.com/ for locations and times.

For more information about the student walkout or how to get involved to end gun violence, follow @fuhs_against_gun_violence on Instagram.