Behind the Cappies writers

This year’s Cappies writers.

The Orange County Cappies is an organization hosted by the Orange County Register, where high school students watch and review high school play/musical productions for a chance to be published in an acclaimed newspaper.

“Cappies is all over the U.S. but for us, it’s centralized in Orange County where high school students can go to different Orange County high school shows. [We] provide a review basically celebrating high school theater,” senior and Cappie Myah Phillips said.

Students can apply by submitting writing samples to theater teacher Michael Despars, who runs the Cappie program at FUHS. The team of nine selected Cappies can then sign up to attend and review productions.

What truly makes a Cappie is an interest in theater and a passion for writing.

“You don’t have to be in theater. You can just be someone who really likes theater or really likes to write things and just wants to get an opportunity to be published,” Phillips said.

Becoming a Cappie offers numerous opportunities to be published by the OC Register, which is especially beneficial if you are looking to pursue a career in journalism like Phillips.

“I’m potentially pursuing a career in journalism, specifically entertainment variety,” said Phillips. “I like theater regardless, so I figured it’s a cool way to see free shows, get a chance to be published by the OC Register, and get a lot of writing under your belt because when you go into journalism, that’s essential.”

Only three people are selected for publication per show. Regardless, being a Cappie is a fun and rewarding way to celebrate high school theatre.

Those who wish to apply for the FUHS team can inquire with Mr. Despars in Rm. 19.