The Tribe Tribune

Angel Street: More than just a tale

Ana Bane as Mrs. Mannigham contemplating a proposition from Timothy Coleman as Inspector Rough

Margeaux Lau

Margeaux Lau

Edward Lopez, Staff Writer

Do you like melodramas? Have a love for theatre?

Then you should go and see “Angel Street”!

“Angel Street” is the first production of the FUHS school year. It is an adaptation of the 1938 play “Gas Light” by Patrick Hamilton, one of the first productions shown in the Little Theatre in 1956 when it first opened.

“Angel Street” explores gaslighting: a form of psychological abuse in which false information is presented to the victim with the intent of making them doubt their memory and perception, into the English language.

“Gaslighting can happen in real life circumstances. Angel Street shouldn’t be seen as any other show; Angel street is an informative tale,” said senior Tim Coleman who plays Inspector Rough, a man convinced of a murder that happened 15 years prior

“A close watch of Angel Street will provide an audience member an in-depth look at things they might not have seen the first time,” Coleman said.

Set in 1800s London, this Victorian thriller is full of suspense and psychological thrills throughout its compelling story.

The play follows the story of the Manninghams, and is set in their home on Angel Street. Bella Manningham, the gentle and devoted wife to Mr. Manningham, is played by seniors Natalie Carter and Ana Bane.

Junior David Kwon plays Mr. Manningham, Bella Manningham’s husband.

“[The show] gets very intense and you can really feel the tension in the room, which is something I’ve experienced and enjoy very much,” said Kwon.

Sophomore Karina Hunt plays Elizabeth, a maid to the Manninghams.

“The [play has the] motif of fear, fantasy versus reality, questioning your own sanity, and  [asking yourself] is this real or not?” Hunt said.

Unlike other shows, “Angel Street” will take place in a more unique setting, where the actors are not on a stage, but in the middle of a room, in which the audience is circled around them, also known as a thrust stage.

“[The audience] is pulled in and they are in the room with us. You get different perspectives.” Hunt said.

Angel Street runs October 25, 26, and 27 at 7 pm and October 27 at 1 pm in the Black Box Theatre. Tickets are $8.00 pre-sale and $15.00 at the door.

About the Writer
Edward Lopez, Staff Writer

Class of 2019. President of the Interact club. Lover of Sylvia Plath’s poems.  I love the sky, the sky is beautiful and staring at it whether it be clear, cloudy with only tiny rays of sun, and or stars that fill it up is always enjoyable for me. Avid watcher of Comedians such as John mulaney and Conan O’brien. 70s and 90s bands.