Places to Eat: Prom Edition

With prom season approaching, students are beginning to plan for the highly anticipated event. This year’s prom, “A Night to Remember,” will be held at the Balboa Pavilion.

Fortunately, dozen of restaurants ranging from popular restaurant chains such as BJ’s Restaurant and Brewhouse, to restaurants only found in Newport Beach such as 21 Oceanfront surround Balboa Pavilion. Students have many options available when deciding where to dine and here are a few.

Newport Landing Restaurant

Photo courtesy of newport-landing.com

Address: 503 Edgewater Pl, Newport Beach, CA 92661

Contact Number:  (949) 675-2373

Price Range: $15 to $60

Located right on the bay, Newport Landing Restaurant provides diners with a pleasant view of the Newport Harbor with options to sit outdoors. This restaurant is known for its fresh seafood including shrimp cocktails and grilled salmon, but also offers other options including hamburgers and steaks.

Students can make online reservations for groups as big as eight, but must call ahead to make reservations for larger groups. Newport Landing Restaurant closes at 10 p.m. and offers two hour complimentary parking. It’s a four minute drive to the Balboa Pavilion, or a three minute walk.

For any questions about the menu, students can preview the menu on the following link. https://www.newport-landing.com/menus/dinner/

21 Oceanfront

Address: 2100 W Oceanfront, Newport Beach, CA 92663

Contact Number: (949) 673-2100

Price Range: $20 to $60

Photo courtesy of 21oceanfront.com

21 Oceanfront is a seafood restaurant known for its live entertainment and panoramic ocean views. It offers a variety of different seafood, along with a range of prime steaks that make it a premier Newport Beach steakhouse. It offers a great selection of seafood like ravioli lobster and salmon for students interested in eating fresh seafood right by the ocean.  This restaurant is a great location for students who don’t mind a six minute drive to Balboa Pavilion.

If students are interested in dining at one of Newport’s most well-known seafood restaurants, they can make reservations for up to 16 guests online or call ahead to make reservations for any groups larger than 16. 21 Oceanfront closes at 10 p.m. and offers valet parking for $6.

For any questions about the menu, students can preview the menu on the following link. https://www.21oceanfront.com/PDF/21Menu.pdf

Ruby’s Diner

Address: 1 Balboa Pier #1, Newport Beach, CA 92661

Photo courtesy of sasakitime.com

Contact Number: (949) 675-7829

Price Range: $10 to $25

Known for its unique location and great service, Ruby’s Diner is a 1940’s style diner famous for its variety of burgers and shakes. Besides offering great comfort food, this restaurant is recognized for its location at the end of the pier that allows diners to overlook the ocean as the sun sets. Ruby has a large selection of great food for an affordable price that includes a chicken tenders dinner, the infamous Classic Ruby Burger, and the Ruby Club sandwich. Students interested in dining at Ruby’s Diner can dine here at any time before 9 p.m.

This unique location is an eight minute drive from Balboa Pavilion in addition to a 15 minute walk along Balboa Pier. Parking is available at the Balboa Municipal Lot. Students interested in dining at Ruby’s Diner cannot make reservations, but can contact the diner by phone if they have any further questions.

For any questions about the menu, students can preview the menu on the following link. https://www.rubys.com/menu/

BJ’s Restaurant & Brewhouse

Address: 106 Main St, Newport Beach, CA 92661

Contact Number: (949) 675-7560

Price Range: $20 to $50

Photo courtesy of bjsresturant.com

As one of America’s most recognized restaurant chains, BJ’s Restaurant & Brewhouse is a popular dining location for students interested in a lively environment with great dining options that range from pizza and pasta to soups and salads. Students can order BJ’s classic combo pizza, the infamous chicken alfredo, or shrimp tacos. Parking is available at the Balboa Municipal Lot located three minutes away for an hourly parking rate and the restaurant  closes at 11 p.m.

BJ’s Restaurant & Brewhouse is a four minute drive from Balboa Pavilion or a short two minute walk as it is located three blocks down from the prom venue. Reservations can be made for up to 40 diners by calling ahead.

For any questions about the menu, students can preview the menu on the following link. https://www.bjsrestaurants.com/menu

The Original Mama D’s Italian Kitchen

Address: 3012 Newport Blvd, Newport Beach, CA 92663

Contact Number: (949) 675-6262

Price Range: $15 to $35

Photo courtesy of mamadsnewport.com

The Original Mama D’s Italian Kitchen offers authentic Italian dishes that range from traditional Neapolitan style pizza to speciality pastas. Students have the option to order the classic speciality pasta which Mama’s D prides itself for or choose to try their famous homemade ravioli. This restaurant is great for students interested in dining in an area located near Balboa Pavilion. It’s approximately a ten minute drive to the prom venue and offers complimentary parking behind the restaurant.

However, Mama’s D’s is known to be particularly busy on Saturday evenings meaning itś important to arrive early in order to have enough time to wait to be seated and served. Students interested in dining here should plan ahead. It closes at 10 p.m. and does not offer reservations, but can be contacted by phone for any further questions.

For any questions about the menu, students can preview the menu at the following link. https://www.mamadsnewport.com/#menu-section

Sapori Ristorante

Address:  1080 Bayside Dr, Newport Beach, CA 92660

Contact Number: (949) 644-4220

Photo courtesy of saporinb.com

Price Range: $25 to $60

Sapori Ristorante is an Italian restaurant that’s a 15 minute drive from Balboa Pavilion. It’s famous for its traditional pasta and Italian entrees that encourage people to dine here quite often during the weekends. Its menu includes specialized pasta dinners such as linguine and fettuccine and saladas like the classic caesar salad or a dinner salad. Students who dine here should expect a lively environment with great Italian food.

Reservations can be made online for groups of up to eight people or by calling ahead for larger groups. It closes at 10 p.m. and offers free parking at all times as it’s located in a shopping center. Students can expect to spend an average of one-and-a-half to two hours here.

For any questions about the menu, students can preview the menu at the following link. http://www.saporinb.com/dinner/