Spring sports update

Freshman Zoe Healey (pictured) tied the freshman high jump record at 4’6” at the first Freeway League quad meet.
Reagan Glidewell
Boys Tennis
Boys Tennis

Junior captain Tim Chung won all three of his sets (7-5, 6-1, 6-0) against Troy on April 4 as a singles player. Chung later paired up with junior Ben Villalobos after facing Sunny Hills, playing doubles against Sonora on April 11 and La Habra on April 15. On April 11, Chung and Villalobos played one match against Sonora winning 6-0 before Villalobos opted to let fellow teammate Adam Whittaker come off the bench. In Chungs second match, now paired with Whittaker, he continued his clean sweep winning 6-0 as well. The third match was defaulted due to an inadequate amount of players on Sonora. Chung and Villalobos continued to thrive, winning all three games against La Habra (6-0, 6-0, 6-0) on April 15.

Track & Field
Track & Field

Senior Alejandro Hernandez (pictured) broke the FUHS school record in the 3200 meters at 9:45 at the Trabuco Hills Invitational on March 29. Hernandez’s time is an average of 4:52 per mile. Coming off of a calf injury that ended his cross country season, Hernandez said although frustrating at times, he has recovered significantly since his time off. “I think I still have more room in the tank and definitely room for improvement,” Hernandez said. “I didn’t have anyone to pull me along [at Trabuco], but if I did, I would have gone another second faster that race.” The boys varsity team is 4-1 in the Freeway League. The Tribe hosted the Freeway League Prelims yesterday. Results were unavailable at press time.

Senior Amaya Moreno (pictured) tied the 4’ 8” school record in the high jump at the Fullerton City Meet on Feb. 24. One week after, with senior Morgan McAndrew, junior Alexa Lopez and freshman Azumi Fuertes, Moreno broke the all-time school record in the 4×800 meters relay (10:14) at the Condor Distance Carnival on March 1. Moreno also sits in third for all-time FUHS performances in the 800 meters with a time of 2:29. She says running cross country for the first time this year has helped her improve her 800. “Because cross country is so endurance-based, I have been able to find the good balance between endurance and speed that you need during an 800,” Moreno said. “It is such a different race because you have to be quick right off that bat, but it’s really long so you need that endurance to help you finish without dying off.” The girls varsity team is 4-1 in the Freeway League.

Freshman Mahlia Jordan finished second in the frosh soph discus throw at the Orange County Track and Field Championships on April 13. The competition hosts Orange County’s top track and field athletes. Jordan had a mark of 100’ 10”, breaking the previous FUHS freshman record of 88’ 1”. The girls and boys frosh soph team is 5-0 in the Freeway League.

Swim & Dive
Swim & Dive

Freshman Abby Guevara (pictured) secures a 200 freestyle and 100 butterfly CIF consideration time at Sonora on April 8. Guevara has qualified in four events. The boys and junior varsity teams won by over 50 points. The Tribe secured consideration times for CIF with the boys and girls 400 freestyle relay. Individual consideration CIF qualifications include senior Cole Chang in the 50 freestyle and 200 individual medley, senior Reagan Glidewell in the 50 freestyle, freshman Toby Swanson in the 500 freestyle, sophomore Sydney Cruz in the 500 freestyle and 200 individual medley, and junior Lily Guevara in the 200 individual medley and 100 breastroke. Automatic qualifications include the boys and girls 200 free and medley relays and Abby Guevara’s 100 breastroke.

Boys Golf
Boys Golf

Senior Sangat Grewal (left) and sophomore Brody Jones (right) on the 9th hole at the Hacienda Country Club on April 11. The Tribe beat the Warriors 213-217 on Troy’s home course. Senior Andres Bustamante, sophomore Brody Jones, sophomore Pascal Duffus, senior Sangat Grewal, junior Jack Arnold and junior Ford Woolery will be advancing to CIF as the first FUHS boys golf team to qualify in 100 years. The team was in second place in the Freeway League going into its April 18 match against Sonora. Sunny Hills is currently first in the league and Troy is third. If the team secures the state championship, it will be the first boys golf team in FUHS history.

Cheer and STUNT
Cheer and STUNT

Sophomore Valeria Bautista (above) is a second-year flier on the Fullerton STUNT team. During a competition against Brea Olinda on April 15, sophomore Audrina Gomez suffered a concussion while doing a pyramid in the fourth quarter. While being a base, a flier landed on her head. Despite being unable to participate for the rest of the season, Gomez says she looks forward to future seasons and the team’s potential. “We have the same skills and we have everything the other teams have but we are a super young team,” Gomez said. “We have sophomores, freshmen, but only two seniors. We just have to learn to be sharp to get the points.” The Indians will travel to Orange Lutheran for their last competition on April 19.

Boys Volleyball

Junior Johnny Leonardo (pictured) attempts to spike the ball against La Habra as they sweep their match on March 28. Despite their loss against Buena Park on April 17, the Tribe (8-2) will advance to CIF, finishing second in the Freeway League behind Sunny Hills (8-1).