Photo courtesy of Yale Yang.

Yale Yang

After transferring from Troy High School sophomore year, Yale Yang was soon to make a presence for himself at FUHS.

Gaining support from his counselors and peers, Yang was able to embed himself in a variety of programs surrounding athletics, music, and theatre. While running cross country offered a great stress reliever, Yang believes he benefited the most from his three years of choir and playing the cello in orchestra.

“Choir, and music in general, has been the cornerstone of my high school career,” Yang said. “Without it, I wouldn’t be as happy or content as I am.”

Yang’s cello career began when he was just 10 years old, and he has participated in an orchestra outside of school since the sixth grade.

Yang feels he wouldn’t be the same student without the discipline and creativity that music teaches, and holds the same outlook on how he was raised.

“As a child I was pushed very hard; whatever I did, my parents made me do it well,” Yang said. “They lightened up as I grew up, but I think the initial discipline and tutoring when I was little helped me develop the mindset that allows me to reach higherto reach my full potential.”

With this mindset, Yang exceeded all expectations when he was cast as the lead role of Prince Topher in this year’s spring production Cinderella. Having played cello in the pit for two years, Yang went for broke to be onstage, ending his final year with a bang.

“High school’s been great, especially my senior year because of how many blessings I’ve been shown,” Yang said. “I’ve actually gotten recognition for things I didn’t expect I’d be recognized for.”

Along with being a Full IB Diploma candidate, the most prominent award Yang received was the National Merit Scholarship for his junior year’s PSAT score, where he was FUHS’s sole recipient.

Having received a full scholarship, Yang plans to attend UCLA where he will major in Pure Math and minor in music. Yang hopes to become a math professor in the future.

THE TRIBE TRIBUNE • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in