201 E Chapman Ave, Fullerton, CA 92832

THE TRIBE TRIBUNE

201 E Chapman Ave, Fullerton, CA 92832

THE TRIBE TRIBUNE

201 E Chapman Ave, Fullerton, CA 92832

THE TRIBE TRIBUNE

Winter Break: Fun Things To Do

Illustration by Helen Sanders
Because Christmas is only a few days away, students will have lots of time to fill before they need to return to class on Jan. 8.

Editor’s Note

Your last final exam is Thursday, Dec. 21, which gives you only a few days to prepare for Christmas. If you need to do some quick shopping, the Tribe Tribune has some suggestions ranging from shops on Harbor Blvd. to taking a trip to the LAB.

Need a study break? Try our quick-and-easy Christmas light tour within walking distance of FUHS. If you’re unsure how to fill your 17 days of vacation, the Tribe Tribune staff members have researched and personally experienced different activities for you to consider. 

Irvine Spectrum: Enjoy decorations, try ice skating

By Karis Kim  

The rink and Big Wheel are conveniently placed near the Hello Kitty Café to quickly grab a warm espresso or a fruit tea. (Photo by Karis Kim)

The Irvine Spectrum Center, an outdoor mall, continues to rise in popularity because of their attractions and eye-catching lights. For the most convenient ride, meet up on Lemon Street or anywhere near school. The total cost for a 6-person uber is $62. This may seem like a steep price, but if you get six people to go, each person would pay about $10.

The Spectrum is the perfect outdoor place, prettiest at night, to take pictures in front of the massive decorated tree surrounded by the ice skating rink, Ferris wheel, and stores. 

The ice skating rink opened back up last month. Sunday, Dec. 31, is the second to last day of the rink being open. The rink is open in increments of an hour and a half starting from 2-3:30 p.m. until 7:30 p.m. with 30-minute intermissions between each time frame. Unless you’re 10 and under, tickets are $23 including skates.

To finish off the day after looking around the stores, right next to the rink lies the Big Wheel. Glowing over 100 feet tall, this Ferris wheel is the perfect place to cool down and is only $8, going around about 3-4 times. 

The Irvine Spectrum Center is located at 670 Spectrum Center Dr, Irvine, CA 92618. Shops are open from 10 a.m.-10 p.m. throughout the week except on Sunday as it opens from 10 a.m.-7 p.m.

The Source OC: Photos for fun, gifts

The Source in Buena Park is filled with stores and entertainment ranging from gaming places like Ultimate Esport, an internet gaming cafe, and VR Universe, a virtual reality experience, to a karaoke lounge at EKO. On the first floor across from Gong Cha is a dainty accessory and clothing shop called Little Light. It is the perfect place to purchase cute rings, hats, and hair clips. Their hottest item is their Sanrio collection. (Photo by Karis Kim)

By Karis Kim

The Source is the perfect all-day hangout place where possibilities just seem endless. In case your friend group struggles to “take the plans out of the group chat” because of rides, split an Uber. Meet on Lemon Street near school and the total cost should be about $23 for an uber that fits up to 6 people. Then, each person only pays about $4.

Life4Cuts at the Source OC is a photo booth studio with themed templates and accessories.
(Photos by Karis Kim)

While your makeup is still fresh and dewy, the best place to start is to stop by the photo booths. Life4Cut and FlipPoly are two perfect places to take cute casual pictures! Life4Cuts is full of mirrors, headbands, and accessories with festive, plain, and decorative templates. FlipPoly is a sandwich and drink place that doubles as a casual photo booth in case you crave food and memories.

At Life4Cut, if you choose the festive templates, the employees suggest hanging up the printed photos on the Christmas tree as an ornament. It’s also great for a last-minute gift for grandma; you know she loves pics of you! 2-frame photos are $10 and 4-frame photos are $12.

However, if you want more professional photos, PhotoGram is the perfect minimalistic and high-quality studio. Reviewers say it’s better than hiring a professional photographer. Although, it is a bit pricey as it ranges from $80 to $160 depending on the photo style. 

The source is located at 6940 Beach Blvd Buena Park, CA 90621. Shops are open from 10 a.m.-8 p.m. on weekdays and 10 a.m.-9 p.m. on weekends

Flippoly at the Source OC doubles as a drink+sandwich shop and photo booth station (Photos by Karis Kim)
PhotoGram at the Source OC is a full-service photo studio, perfect for clean professional pictures. (Photos by Karis Kim)

The LAB: Must-see for sustainable shopper 

The Creme Tangerine operates out of an Airstream trailer. You can buy used vinyl records for $4-$26. (Photos by Sofia Matin)

By Sofia Matin

For shoppers who are looking to support smaller-scale businesses, The LAB in Costa Mesa (also called the “Anti-Mall”) offers a bohemian selection of shops and eateries, as well as a beautiful outdoor space with art installations.

Music lovers will want to flock to the vinyl record store nestled inside the center called The Creme Tangerine. Operating out of an Airstream trailer, the store boasts an impressive selection of new and gently used vinyl records, as well as vintage and limited-edition records. 

(Left) Matcha tea and vegan maple walnut donut from Goodtown. Other doughnut flavors include Strawberry Chocolate and S’mores. (Right) The entrance to Barbonzai Lebanese Eatery which serves Halal-friendly food for Muslim customers. The restaurant is a family-owned business, with the founders hailing from northern Lebanon. (Photos by Sofia Matin)

Also located within the space is Good Town Doughnuts which sells both vegan and non-vegan doughnuts, coffee, and matcha to accommodate a broader audience with differing food preferences. One vegan maple walnut donut costs $4.50.

For streetwear fans, Blends sells sneakers and clothing from cult-favorite brands. For those looking to do some post-Christmas shopping, Blends sells classic Ugg slippers for $160 and Fenty x Puma Creepers for $100. 

Those who enjoy Mediterranean food won’t want to miss out on Barbonzai Lebanese restaurant whose modern take on classic Lebanese cuisine has earned it a loyal base of customers. Their menu includes freshly made pita, falafel, and shawarma chicken. Parking is usually packed, so visitors also have the option of taking the Orange County bus. If you plan on driving by car it is recommended you park on Randolph.

The LAB Anti-Mall is located at 2930 Bristol St, Costa Mesa. Hours of operation are from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. every day of the week. 

Walk Through Nearby Twinkling Winter Wonderland

(Top) Off of Princeton Cir E, families can view a home covered head to toe in How the Grinch Stole Christmas memorabilia. (Bottom left) While strolling down N. Yale Ave, on your right you can see a spectacle of pigs arranged on the lawn. (Bottom right) Some families drive around the neighborhood in golf carts decked out in lights. (Photos by Eadyn Ochoa)

By Eadyn Ochoa

Five-foot inflatable Grinch. Flying pigs. Thirty-foot trees strung with lights. These are things you can expect if you head down to Princeton Circle East and East Brookdale Place to see a twinkling winter wonderland. Take a nice break from finals and cruise down with a group of friends or a special someone to see a house covered in How the Grinch Stole Christmas memorabilia or a golf cart decked out in festive lights.

“There are a lot of families where it’s a tradition to go down the neighborhood,” junior Maddie Engelhardt said. Senior Cole Frausto’s family is one of them. He says the best way to enjoy the neighborhood is to drive along with friends and family. “Just enjoy listening to Christmas music, turn on your heater, and drink hot cocoa,” Frausto said.

Although you can stay in your car, the Tribe Tribune recommends taking a stroll especially if you’re already near the FUHS campus. Directions from Fullerton High school: 

Head north on Lemon Street. Turn right on N. Berkeley Ave. Turn left on E. Brookdale Place. Turn right on Princeton Circle West.

Vacation Beach Day

By Sammy Howell

The beach might not be the first thing you think of when you think about Christmas vacation, but in Southern California, the beach season is year-round. During your Christmas vacation, you should consider heading down to the beach to have a sunny holiday.

While you are down there, you can do many things other than just staying on the sand or in the water, although if you can handle the cold water, going into the ocean for a swim is always one of the best activities at the beach.

At the Fun Zone in Balboa Beach, you can ride the Ferris wheel, ride the ferry to Balboa Island, and even rent bikes for $15 for two hours to have a cheaper and more efficient way to get around.

There are also plenty of food options, such as Ruby’s Diner on the pier, Balboa BBQ, and food stands along the fun zone. All of these places have options under $20. 

(Left) Students can go to Balboa Pier to watch the sunset and maybe even have dinner on the rooftop of Ruby’s Diner at the end of the pier. (Right) In Pacific City in Huntington Beach there are many shops such as Sephora, Urban Outfitters, and Lush.
(Photos by Sammy Howell)

Christmas Eve: Baking Day at Home

By Evelyn Ishikawa

A crunchy outer shell with a pillow-like inner dough is the definition of perfect bread. (Photos by Evelyn Ishikawa )

When you’re finally free from stress, what is there to do at home? This really simple French bread recipe that’s soft on the inside and crunchy on the outside, is the perfect way to kill a few hours and leave your house smelling like a fresh bakery! Making bread doesn’t take much work but brings a sense of accomplishment for the rest of your day. Plus, this is the perfect snack to bring to Christmas dinner!

https://www.lifeasastrawberry.com/easy-crusty-french-bread/