Free & Reduced Lunch applications due Dec. 31

Food service workers wear masks to protect themselves and students as they hand out free lunches. Photo by Arashk Alivandi.

Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, many parents are losing their jobs or taking significant pay cuts. Surprisingly, however, fewer FUHS families are applying for Free and Reduced Lunch services.

Assistant principal Marcene Guerrero said that this might be due to the fact that all students are receiving free lunches regardless of whether they have filled out the application.

“Resources are just so much more available without having to fill out that form,” Guerrero said. “It’s available to anyone, you just have to come and get it.”

Guerrero said that all students and community members should take advantage of the free lunches available near the parking structure on N. Lemon Street.

“We would hate for that kind of resource to go to waste,” Guerrero said. “My biggest encouragement is it’s free food, take it. If you don’t want it, then give it to a little sibling or something, but take it.” 

Although students receive free lunch without filling out the application, they can receive many more benefits if they fill out the application and qualify.

If approved, families can receive access to bus passes, reduced internet and utility bill prices and waived college application fees along with the well-known benefits of free school lunches and reduced standardized testing prices.

The income required to qualify for Free and Reduced Lunch varies depending on the number of people in a household. However, typically households with a weekly income between $318 and $1086 will qualify. The FUHS Free and Reduced Lunch program welcomes all families to apply, even if they believe they will not qualify.

FUHS families can fill out the form electronically at fjuhsdfoodservices.org, visit the attendance office on campus and fill it out there, or call (714)-870-2821 to fill it out over the phone. 

The deadline to fill out the application was extended to Dec. 31.

Anyone who has questions regarding Free and Reduced Lunch should contact Guerrero or Principal Laura Rubio via email.