201 E Chapman Ave, Fullerton, CA 92832

THE TRIBE TRIBUNE

201 E Chapman Ave, Fullerton, CA 92832

THE TRIBE TRIBUNE

201 E Chapman Ave, Fullerton, CA 92832

THE TRIBE TRIBUNE

SOLD!

Students display works at Selling It gallery show
Helen Sanders
Photo students creatively translate the same subject through their own artistic voices.
The gallery show involved works from both photo and visual arts students at FUHS. (Helen Sanders)

The FUHS’ Gallery 201 held its Selling It! art show on Dec. 7. Artists were encouraged to adopt the styles of commercial art in their works.

Commercial art is created purely for marketing purposes, defined by strategies used by companies to sell their products. To add creativity to a normally plain style, students incorporated common objects, like Cholula, and expressed their own personal message.

Senior Nathan Vaughn, an AP photo student, took an intuitive yet creative direction for the show. When Vaughn’s AP photo class was assigned the project, his eye for simplicity came in hand.

“I got a few chilis that we had in the fridge and I photographed, basically, what goes into making such an iconic hot sauce,” Vaughn said.

Vaughn’s work depicts the Chocula hot sauce juxtaposed next to its ingredients on a kitchen countertop, bringing the product back to its origins. (Photo courtesy of Nathan Vaughn)

Scott Hudson’s AP art students chose outdated, discontinued products at random to revitalize in their own artistic advertisements. They took advantage of various color harmonies and logical fallacies to argue why their product rises above the rest on the store shelf.

Junior Mia Barrett took her advertisement to the next level with a friendly revival of Burger Chef, a fast-food restaurant chain that closed in 1996.

“In with the old, out with the new.” Barrett’s advertisement plays on the establishment’s long history. (Photo courtesy of Mia Barrett)

Barrett approached the work with a vintage aesthetic in mind, using a half-tone overlay and a primary color palette to evoke an old, welcoming feel.

Barrett also designed and constructed her own burger box and soda cup. But she says she couldn’t have done it without her dad, who, like Barrett, also has a stake in the art world.

“He’s in the Watercolor Artist Society,” said Barrett. “He’s had a passion for watercolor art for a very long time, so I kind of got inspired by him in the art field.”

Click below for more photos: