De Leon leads FUHS Marching Band to victory

Rebecca De Leon saluting the judges at the last band competition on Oct. 29. Photo by Helen Craft.

Fullerton Union High School’s Marching Band won first place in a field show competition for the first time in a decade, with the leadership of senior Rebecca De Leon. As drum major and student leader of the band, De Leon is passionate about band and it’s family atmosphere.

De Leon cherishes the moments she has with marching band and considers them her second family. “With band, you see these people every single day for four years,” De Leon said. “We live in that band room everyday with each other.”

“The first thing I remember vividly was us coming back to our band, saluting, getting together and hugging,” said De Leon regarding the victory. “Not getting the trophy, but bringing it back to our band and celebrating with them.”

Beginning in the sixth grade, De Leon had aspired to be drum major. “My sister’s best friend was the drum major when I came to a football game and I was like ‘Who in the world is that?’ because she was in all white and conducting,” De Leon continued, “I told my mom, ‘Mom, when I’m in highschool, I want to do that.’ I decided it then and there.”

However, once De Leon reached high school, her goal dwindled as academics took over. De Leon attributes her success to one person in particular. Yulissa Trujilo, the drum major during De Leon’s sophomore year, encouraged her to go after it. “She was the one who kind of pushed me into that position,” De Leon said.

Even though being drum major hasn’t been easy, De Leon pushes through the issues and has brought the band remarkable victories this year. On Oct. 29, the marching band once again placed in the top three bands of their division. The one thing that keeps De Leon going is the legacy that she wishes to leave.

“I want to leave my own imprint,” De Leon said. “I want us to get better and I want the next drum major to be even better than me and the other drum majors be better. I want the band to continue to rise and not just stagnate.”

After graduation, De Leon wishes to pursue music at Chapman University and occasionally stop by to visit her old bandmates and continue to contribute her help to the marching band.

De Leon cherishes the remaining time she has with the band and plans to finish the marching season off strong at the semi-finals this Saturday, Nov. 12.