Ribbon cutting ceremony for new MSA building

The FUHS Academy of the Arts celebrated the opening of the Music-Speech-Arts (MSA) building on Thurs., Aug. 23 with a ribbon-cutting ceremony.

Renovations include the Black Box Theatre, Little Theatre, a new photo room, a photo gallery, Instrumental Music room, Choral Music room, and a multi-functional studio for the use of all Academy programs.

Dr. Robert Singer was one of the FJUHSD board members present at the ceremony. As a father of students who went through the Academy of the Arts, Dr. Singer feels the building renovations are an important way to showcase the Academy’s talent.

“The Academy of the Arts, to begin with, provides leadership with a whole spectrum of the fine arts. From the Triple Threat on, and [renovations are] giving them competitive capability to be competitive with other schools,” Singer said.

“If the facility doesn’t support capturing the difference between a wonderful performance and a pretty good performance, it doesn’t show what those students have done.” Singer said. “[The programs] now have the capability of demonstrating to audiences, recruiters, and others the differential contribution being made by students.”

The improvements to the building not only raises the caliber of the art programs, but will attract more talented students.

“We have people coming into Fullerton High School from outside our district because the programs here offer things that can’t be obtained [anywhere else]. These new capabilities‒ state-of-the-art equipment‒ will enhance that and be even more of a magnet for students both inside and outside the district.”