Hits and Misses of December 2019

Senior Mark Rojo, Sergio Ortiz, Emma Peterson, Cynthia Alvarez, and sophomore Scarlet Marenco in character during a performance of The Greek Mythology Olympicganza. Photo by Isaiah Zarat

😍HIT

Back-to-back theatre shows: The theatre program has been working nonstop, first performing Love Sick then The Girl in the White Pinafore, then debuting The Greek Mythology Olympicganza shortly after. Those in theatre have put in a lot of work to learn the staging and backstage cues for the shows.

😞MISS

Red Ribbon Week seemed to be overlooked by students. With the current vaping epidemic facing teens, the school could have done more to bring awareness of the effects of drugs and more importantly, resources to help those battling addiction.

Although we appreciate ASB planning Red Ribbon Week around other events, the lateness of it made students miss out on free food items from businesses in the community.

Senior Chase Thompson’s art displayed in Gallery 201 for the Spam Show. Thompson’s art along with the art of other students will be on display in Gallery 201 until Friday. Photo by Jose Perez.

😍HIT

Spam show: The Gallery 201 Spam show was a success, with students displaying artwork inspired by pop art.

😞MISS

Websites being blocked: Recently, the district website filters on Chromebooks have been glitching and restricting typically approved websites such as Quizlet and NoRedInk. As finals are approaching, this can be a hindrance to students attempting to prepare and review.

😍HIT

ASL Caroling: ASL classes got students in the holiday spirit when they went caroling in sign language to various classes on Dec. 6.

😍HIT

Senior Chloe Dyreson, Briana Vasquez, and sophomore Jonah Blake perform Christmas carols for students. Photo by Isaiah Zarate.

Pasta Drive: The Culinary and Hospitality program hosted a food drive Dec. 2-6 to collect pasta for children in need. Classes collected 223 pounds of pasta and 105 pounds of sauce to donate to the OC Kids Katerina Club. The food drive was a great way to bring students together and give back to those in need.

😍HIT

Candy Cane Grams: ASB’s Candy Cane Grams was a great way to share kindness with other students, as well as providing a stress reliever for finals.