The student news site of Fullerton Union High School

The Tribe Tribune

Matthew Flynn crowned this year’s “Mr. Fullerton”

Bryce Abernathy, Josiah Haugen, and Matthew Flynn all stepped forward after they learned they had each one a title. Photo by Luis Perez

Meghan Taylor, Copy Editor

On Apr. 12, Matthew Flynn was crowned this year’s Mr. Fullerton after a night filled with laughter and dancing.

Flynn worked with two other nominees, Alex Gotch and Josiah Haugen, to come up with their talent. It included all three boys performing their own personal talent at the same time—an operatic version of the song “Wrecking Ball” by Miley Cyrus, an interpretive dance, and whale calls—and then closed with a short dance to Shakira’s “Hips Don’t Lie.”

“Josiah can sing, Alex can dance, so I just decided to do something with my mouth,” Flynn said about his decision to perform whale mating calls.

Rather than having a family member or friend to escort him in the formal wear section, Flynn decided to ask Grandma to escort him. “I had to get somebody iconic, so I got Grandma,” Flynn said.

When Flynn was announced the winner of Mr. Fullerton, Haugen said, “I think we were all, including him, in a little bit of disbelief but then we all just were like ‘yes’ this is exactly how we wanted it to go. I immediately started laughing and just clapping.”

Flynn wasn’t the only winner of the night. Bryce Abernathy and Josiah Haugen also received awards. The audience at the event voted for Abernathy to win the People’s Choice.

“I was really excited and happy that I won at least something. I want to say thank you to everybody that voted for me,” Abernathy said.

Josiah Haugen was crowned Mr. Congeniality. Each nominee votes for someone that they think is deserving of the Mr. Congeniality award.

“Having started not really knowing most of the guys really well and now ending with them kind of putting me forward as Mr. Congeniality, I feel touched and honored,” Haugen said.

Mr. Fullerton nominees dancing in the opening number. Photo by Luis Perez