FUHS students rock out

(Left to right) Hertel, Gagnon, Burt. Photo by Melanie Pinzon.

FUHS students Rory Burt, Dylan Gagnon, and Sam Hertel may look like your average high school juniors by day, but the trio join together by night to form thunderous punk band Apollo 69.

The band came together spring of 2015 when childhood friends Gagnon (bassist) and Hertel (drums) teamed up with Burt (guitar and vocals).

“Me and Dylan started jamming with a friend who introduced us to Rory, and then we kicked her out, and eventually Rory joined,” said Hertel.

The trio discovered music at a young age, coming together to finally make their own. However, each member had a different musical upbringing.

Hertel enjoyed listening to garage rock bands like Fuzz and purchased his own drum set at a garage sale, taking lessons here and there, but primarily self-teaching himself.

Gagnon drew inspiration from pioneers of heavy metal like Black Sabbath. He first tried picking up the electric guitar, but preferred the low rumbling sound of the bass guitar instead.

Burt, has a more significant connection with the genre of his band, hardcore punk. Bands like Uniform Choice, Agnostic Front, and Social Distortion, inspire Burt’s musical preferences.

“I’ve been listening to punk and hardcore music since third or fourth grade,” said Burt. “I’ve been playing instruments since fifth or sixth grade.”

They collectively draw inspiration from their shared favorite bands, often performing covers of Black Flag and GG Allin.

“[Apollo 69’s] music is fast, loud, intense, and angry,” said Burt, who composes most of the band’s song lyrics.

“The main theme of our songs is whatever is pissing me off at the time,” said Burt. Lyrics sometimes include their struggles as high school students.

Though the three have slightly different tastes, they manage to play based solely on their love for all things music. “We mostly play for ourselves,” said Gagnon. “But it’s an extra bonus when the audience is having a good time.”

Apollo 69 has frequently performed at Huntington Beach Central Park, Programme Skate and Sound, and even in people’s backyards.

As for what they’re actually like live, most attendees at a show at Max Bloom’s Cafe, would agree that they have a considerable amount of spontaneity and preeminent showmanship.

Burt, effortlessly pumps up his roughed up crowd, kicking the show into high gear, with original songs such as “Best Gore” and “Freeloaders.”

Gagnon, even with obstacles such as a broken bass and a loose cord, is able to blend in with the atmosphere, posing no fear to get up close and personal with his audience.

Hertel pounds away at the drums, drawing the audience with his rhythms, adding more to the potent live experience of Apollo 69.

Often joking around with the audience, the band is very laid back when performing live. However, Apollo 69 is hardworking, playing full out with a strong intensity that makes them stand out on their own.

Though the band has not noticed a consistent following, they’re not completely unknown.

“When people see us, they know what they’re getting into, they know what they’re seeing,” said Burt.

Future plans for Apollo 69 are simple; get out there, play more shows, and play their brains out. They hope to remain a band and keep playing local, but they want to eventually expand beyond Orange County.

The trio are also optimistic towards their band’s success. “Bands that give up don’t go anywhere,” said Burt.

As for advice for hopeful musicians wanting to start a band themselves, the members encourage people to get out and do what they love.

“You just got to go for it. Do whatever you can, even if you can’t find a place to practice.

Whatever you got, just do it,” said Burt.

Apollo 69’s music can be streamed at apollo69oc.bandcamp.com. You can catch them live at Max Blooms in Fullerton on Oct. 22 and at “Way Too Fun Fest” in Santa Ana on Nov. 5.