Winter Sports Preview

Girls Water Polo

The girls water polo team (4-3) played its first league meet against Sunny Hills on Dec. 14, losing 14-4. Junior Morgan McAndrew made the transition from cross country to water polo, playing as a sprinter. (Photo courtesy of Ainsley Kudron.)

Boys Soccer

The boys JV soccer team (pictured above) has won or tied every game except for the 3-1 loss against Anaheim on Dec. 16. The varsity team had its first home game on Dec. 2. They won 1-0 against Saint John Bosco (2-3-2). During the 34 minute mark in the first half, junior Nathan Buehler assisted senior Kenneth Flores with the goal that led to Fullerton’s win. Declan Campbell, the varsity goalkeeper, finished with a total of 6 saves. The boys won their next two games and tied 2-2 on Dec. 12 against Valencia (2-3-1). On Dec.16, the Indians won 2-0 against Anaheim (4-4-1). (Photo courtesy of Elias Coca.)

Girls Soccer

Janelle Flores scored twice and Kaya Lee scored once in their 3-1 win against Kaiser (0-8-2) on Dec. 6. The girls faced Calvary (5-0-2) on Dec. 8 and lost 4-2. Janelle Flores scored the first goal for Fullerton, followed by Alexis Helmer. The girls are prepared for their upcoming season and look forward to their first league game against Sunny Hills on Jan. 3. (Photo courtesy of Carlos Rivera.)

Boys Basketball

Four-year varsity point guard senior Christian Hubbard (pictured) led the Tribe with 24 points in their 54-48 loss against West High School. Hubbard leads the team with an average of 14.7 points per game. The Indians (8-6) lost their first three games of pre-season in the Rumble for Rosecrans Tournament. Despite their difficult start, the Indians delivered a 4-game winning streak to get the team back on track. Sophomore Andre Welch led the Indians to their first victory with 12 points in a 79-22 against Torres High School. The Indians will have their first away league game on Jan. 4 against Sunny Hills. (Photo by Reagan Glidewell.)

Girls Basketball

With a 6-1 non-league record, the girls basketball season has made great improvement since last year. In the 2021-2022 season, the Indians had a preseason record of 3-10, flipping the records to an astonishing 9-4. Shooting guard sophomore Peyton Seo (pictured) is averaging 8 points per game. (Photo courtesy of Carlos Rivera.)

Wrestling

The varsity wrestling team started off slow but picked up quickly by winning five matches in a row. The varsity team was led by Dylan Cobbs, Julian Rodela and Kai Ortiz. Currently, the boys varsity team is 1-0 in league and has its third league match against La Habra on Jan. 11. The girls varsity team will participate in the Western Girls Tournament on Jan. 7, followed by a league game against La Habra on Jan. 11. (Photo courtesy of Carlos Rivera.)

Cross Country Finishes CIF

The boys cross country team finished its season at the CIF Preliminaries on Nov. 12. This was the Indians first team appearance in the meet since 2013, and the team had its sights set for fourth place, a qualifying spot for the CIF Finals on Nov. 19. 

Senior Daniel Frausto has been a member of the cross country team for 4 years. Frausto finished his season with a personal record of 17:11.2. (Photo courtesy of Kolini Fernandez.)

The Indians just fell short finishing sixth. However, this was the highest placing by the Fullerton boys team at CIF. 

Junior Alejandro Hernandez led the Indians with an 11th place finish (16:20) followed by senior Nathan Limon in 28th (17:14). 

Senior Troy Fernandez was consistently the third scorer for the Indians, finishing 33rd (17:25). 

Sophomore Jack Golla finished just behind in 37th (17:37), sophomore Ryan Leitner in 41st (17:49), senior Daniel Frausto in 57th (18:45), and junior Nathan Karcher in 63rd (18:55). 

Hernandez secured the fastest performance at the Mt Sac Invitational by a Fullerton runner. 

Passing groups of girls within the last mile, the girls cross country team made up 16 points and finished its season at the CIF Perliminaries on Nov. 12 with a tie for fourth and nearly a qualifying spot for the CIF finals. 

The Indians have no seniors on the varsity team, setting the bar significantly high for the 2023 season. ( Photo courtesy of Irina Tabbal.)

Junior Morgan McAndrew came in third place (19:28), qualifying to move on individually. Junior Ansal Esquivias (21:16) finished 20th followed by her training partner junior Reagan Glidewell (21:38) in 24th. 

Freshman Sofia Tabbal (22:32) finished 40th, freshman Melina Sibal (22:59) in 44th, freshman Christina Hernandez (25:20) in 75th, and freshman Miley Basas (25:29) in 77th. 

Tying for fourth place as a team with Agoura Hills with 112 points, the sixth runners for both teams broke the tie, moving Agoura Hills to fourth and Fullerton to fifth.

Despite not making it to finals, the Indians exceeded expectations, placing significantly higher than anticipated.

Junior Morgan McAndrew moved on to race at CIF finals on Nov.19, finishing 26th (19:31.9).