Moshing: a just school prohibition or a great way to have fun?

Students wait for administration to resume the dance. Photo by Anna Sanchez.

The concept of allowing students to mosh at dances has become a topic of discussion after the pausing of this year’s Highlight dance due to excessive moshing.

For those who don’t know, “moshing” is a form of dance that involves violently jumping and deliberately colliding with other dancers.

According to the school’s dance contract—that every student is required to sign before purchasing a dance ticket—moshing is vehemently restricted. However, many students believe that moshing isn’t really an issue for them and that the rule could probably be changed.

Freshman Marley Fox believes that people moshing at dances should really only bother students if they let it.

“I was completely fine with [the moshing at Highlight]. Honestly, moshing isn’t as bad as doing, like, acid, before the dance, so why should it matter,” Fox said. “I feel like if [people are upset about it] and don’t want to get hurt, they can just stay away from it; because, when there’s moshing, it’s not like the whole dance floor, it’s just a small section of it.”

Juniors Cora Harrison and Megan Weston agree with Fox’s views, finding moshing only an annoyance when it directly affects them.

“When people ran into me it was annoying, but I didn’t see anyone moshing–really people were just jumping and pushing each other. And if they want to have their fun, I’m cool with it,” Weston said.

“What was really annoying was administration stopping [the dance] for, like, 15 minutes just to make them stop,” Harrison said. “I feel like it shouldn’t have to affect everyone else.”

Not only is moshing okay in the eyes of those somewhat unaffected, but in the trampled as well. Senior Salma Leon is one of the “trampled,” after she was pushed down during Highlight due to moshing.

“Yeah, [moshing] can be fun at times, other times it’s, like, deathly,” Leon said. “I feel like it should [be allowed] but there should be limits to it. Like not too much jumping or pushing each other around.”

Though the majority of student response was pro-moshing at school dances, most felt it should be allowed within reason and that allowing it can hinder student enjoyment.

“We should have it at dances, but then again, people are coming because they just want to have fun and dance, but they can’t because people are violently jumping around,” Leon said.

Freshman Soleil Paquin agrees. “I think that a lot of kids enjoy it, and it seems that if you took it away it would be kind of a buzzkill,” Paquin said. “But then again, you have to think about safety and how it is a public area.”

Despite reservations, however, most came to a consensus that moshing can be fun, and that administration shouldn’t care as much as they do.

Senior Rory Burt sees no reason why moshing is prohibited.

“People should definitely [mosh] at school dances,” Burt said. “Because everyone has their own ways to dance, you know? Everyone likes dancing certain ways, and moshing is not a form of fighting–it’s a form of dancing–and just because it’s a little rough doesn’t mean it’s bad.”

While students interviewed find nothing wrong with moshing at school dances, it is still important to remain considerate of the people around you. Moshing is against FUHS dance policy, and those found in violation of the policy will be punished as administration sees fit.

Assistant Principal Belinda Mountjoy reminds students that moshing will always be against school policy.

Our jobs as administrators are to make sure that students are having fun and are safe, and moshing is unsafe,” Mountjoy said. “Some kids might think it’s fun and cute, but then someone gets hurt. When you have moshing going on, you never know if someone is going to get hurt, and as administrators, we can’t allow that.” 

For the future, students must keep in mind that, while they might enjoy moshing, those around them may not. “We hold dances so that [students] can have a good experience, they’re supposed to be something fun you all can engage in,” Mountjoy said. “It’s not supposed to be something where you show up and you get hurt.”