FUHS students reflect on their favorite gifts

Photo courtest of Google Images.

Photo courtest of Google Images.

During the holidays, we rush to get our loved ones the perfect gift–something that they’ll never forget.

However, we don’t just love to give. We love to get. The following FUHS students looked back through the holidays and described the best presents they’ve ever received and given.

Senior Sharon Elomina says her best present she has recieved is love. Photo courtesy of Melanie Pinzon.

Sharon Elomina (Senior): “I’ve received love. The best present I’ve ever received, in my seventeen years of existence, is when I first got here [California], and I celebrated Christmas with a really big family. With my mom’s side it’s always just me and my mom, but when I got to the U.S. I got to celebrate with a really big family. It’s more fun when you get to spend Christmas with your family all together.

I don’t really have a favorite present that I’ve given, because once I’ve given the present and people show me that they really appreciate it, that’s it, that’s all I need. The perfect gift is when you give a person something that shows them that you think of them. It doesn’t have to be expensive, it doesn’t have to be fancy, just so long as you show that there was thought put behind the gift.”

Senior Webster Dittmann says the best gift he recieved was a small treehouse. Photo courtesy of Melanie Pinzon.

Webster Dittmann (Senior): “I think the most excited I ever was for a present was when I got this treehouse, like a wooden treehouse for my figurines, that I got when I was about nine years-old. I had really wanted it, and was excited to add it to my collection. I used to be a bit of a fanatic. I would play with figurines like knights and dragons, stuff like that, so the treehouse was a cool addition to that.

As for giving presents: my dad had this old stuffed bear when he was a kid, but it was destroyed. So we found it and repaired it, restored it, and gave it to him. It was a really cool gift, and I loved giving it to him. Something that means a lot to that person and will have a lasting place in their life is what presents should be about. If a gift makes an impact in any way, then I think it’s a perfect gift.”

Sophomore Rosemary Kehoe says the best gift she has recieved is a doll. Photo courtesy of Melanie Pinzon.

Rosemary Kehoe (Sophomore): “My favorite present was probably the time I got a doll, which was from my mom, and it was really cool because that Christmas I had also gotten a bright pink scooter with little daisies on it. Just the time and energy that my parents had put into thinking about what things I would have wanted and would make me the happiest is what made me feel good and love those gifts.”

Will Hollon (Junior): “In first grade, probably a year after the Wii first came out, my mom got me one for Christmas. And I just remember being like: ‘Oh my gosh!’ It was really the best thing ever. I had that thing for seven years before it died and I played it almost everyday. I just loved that gift so much.

Junior Will Hollon says the best gift he has recieved is a Wii gaming system. Photo courtesy of Melanie Pinzon.

When giving the perfect gift, I think it’s important to remember to make sure it’s actually something the person can use. If you give a vegetarian a McDonald’s gift card they’re obviously not going to like it. You should also make sure that it [the gift] is from the heart. If it’s something personally made, I think that’s probably the best gift ever, because that means that person took the time to make it.”

Senior Ginger Tan says the best gift she has recieved is a camera. Photo courtesy of Melanie Pinzon.

Ginger Tan (Senior): “I’m into photography and my dad got me a Nikon [camera] two years ago, so that’s definitely my favorite gift because I use it all the time. That’s my favorite present. But my favorite gift that I’ve given someone is one where I painted a pillowcase for a boyfriend of mine; we’re not together anymore but it was really special. I had painted song lyrics on it. I had put a lot of heart into it, so it’s one of my favorite gifts I’ve given to someone.

The perfect gift is either something someone really needs, or something that has a lot of thoughtfulness put behind it.”