Advice on how to deal with Senioritis

Senior Rory Burt exhibits early symptoms of Senioritis—the classic in-class nap. Photo courtesy of Melanie Pinzon.

As winter approaches, the temperatures are dropping, and so is the motivation of my fellow senior classmates.

“Senioritis” is a common term used by most graduating classes to describe a certain point in their high school academic careers, a point in which they realize they just can’t be bothered to do anything.

Now, not caring is one thing. Senioritis is another. Being a victim to Senioritis myself, I know it isn’t about throwing my academics away and doing nothing for a whole year just because I’m “already finished.” Symptoms can include little to no motivation, excessive procrastination, and just being plain over high school.

Senioritis can get you in any way, shape, or form. But it can be treated. In order to bring attention to this epidemic, I decided to ask my fellow senior classmates on how they combat it’s mind-paralyzing effects.

Senior Noelle Sumner reports being infected quite prematurely as a sophomore, and as a full IB candidate.

“I feel like I’ve always been someone that did my work on time, and I had previously always had my work done the night before,” Sumner said. “I noticed when it got to this point where I started to do my homework right before the class period it was due.”

As mentioned before, the effects Senioritis are not just mere procrastination, rather, just a spell of senior disillusionment.

“When you’re procrastinating you just procrastinate,” Sumner said. “With Senioritis, it’s more like you’re almost done, yet you’re so far away. It’s just the fact that you have so much in between before graduation, it becomes a burden.”

Similarly, senior Sam Cafferty noticed his symptoms as early as second semester his junior year, and finds that his Senioritis isn’t just a result of prolonged laziness.

“I noticed a strong feeling of wanting to do everything but my homework and wanting to stay home instead of going to school,” Cafferty said. “I don’t think I’m lazy, I’m just so over high school.”

When it comes to combating Senioritis, Senior Allison Park, a long time victim, aims to provide relief for those who are slowly recognizing their symptoms.

“Even though I procrastinate, in my head I always have a plan,” Park said. “Even though I put stuff off until late, I know inside that I’ll be able to get it done. I put myself in the environment necessary for me to be able to get things done.”

Notorious Senioritis sufferer Yale Yang, who is known for having a knack for in-class nap times, also offers advice valuable to anyone who is currently suffering.

“I combat Senioritis by hanging out with friends that don’t have it, and they help me work hard and share their will power with me,” Yang said.

“Find someone who is very hard-working and an inspiration to you in some ways, and just stick with them,” Yang said. “Allow them to be a big influence over your life, and eventually you’ll see some change.”